Our Rottweilers are placed into family situations only in RI, CT, MA, NH, VT, and ME (except for Aroostook, Piscataquis and Washington Counties).
If you live outside this area and send us an application to adopt, we will not respond.
Please click HERE for a list of rescues in your area.
Before you fill out an application please be sure that rescue is the option you choose to add an addition to your family. Please don't use our time to take you through the process only to tell us you've changed your mind or you bought a puppy etc. We would like our volunteers to focus their efforts and time on those applications that are serious in helping a rescued Rottweiler. This is not a first come/first serve procedure as we take great care in matching our dogs to prospective homes.
All applicants are contacted via email once the application is received. Please check your email frequently for our response to your application.
- Applicants must be 21 years of age to adopt a dog from NERR&R.
- Insurance: Please note that some insurance companies may cancel your homeowner's insurance if you own a Rottweiler, Pit bull or Doberman. It is the responsibility of the adopter to check with their agent prior to adopting one of these breeds to make sure doing so will not adversely affect their policy.
- Donation Fee: Unless otherwise noted, a donation of $150 to $350 (based on the age of the dog) is expected upon the date you adopt your Rottweiler. How does your adoption donation help NERR&R? Find out here (We accept personal checks, money orders, cash or PayPal). Donations are tax-deductible*. All Rottweilers are temperament tested by our volunteers and their health and temperament monitored prior to placement. We do not knowingly place aggressive dogs or dogs with bite incidents.
- After adoption, copies of all available records will be provided to the family via USPS. All dogs are spayed or neutered prior to placement, are currently vaccinated, tested for heartworm and are on a monthly preventative. An adoption contract is required when the animal is placed.
- Animals adopted through North East Rottweiler Rescue & Referral, Inc. are not warranted for health or behavior/temperament. Dogs undergoing medical treatment at the time of adoption will be released only with a medical waiver.
- All family members are required to meet adoption candidates to ensure the best possible match of dog to its family members.
- We prefer that our dogs go to homes with securely fenced yards. Whether you live in the city or in the country, no dog can be safely left to run "free" without your direct supervision and control. The price of such "freedom" is inevitably injury or death: from automobiles, from Animal Control, or from justifiably irate neighbors. Like other working breeds, Rottweilers have an inherited instinct to herd. The unfenced country Rottweiler will sooner or later discover the neighbor's livestock. Many state laws allow a livestock owner to kill any dog chasing or "worrying" his stock, or "running" deer on his property, and livestock owners are quick to act on this right. The unfenced city Rottweiler may exercise his herding instinct on joggers, bicyclists and automobiles. An unfenced Rottweiler is always destined for disaster. If your yard is not fenced, we will require the dog to be on lead at all times.
- NERR is under NO obligation to adopt an animal to any individual.
Please be advised that we are volunteers. We all have full-time jobs, families, and animals of our own. Many of us work more hours doing rescue work than we do at our full-time jobs. While we make every effort to process applications and return phone calls immediately, this may not always happen. Please, be patient with us. Emergency medical calls and calls about the safety of our animals take priority. Application processing time averages 2-4 weeks depending on the volume of applications received and the presence of puppies on the website.
I have read this page and believe I meet the MINIMUM requirements for adopting a rescued rottweiler. I would like to complete the adoption application.
*check with your tax advisor on specifics of this donation
Copyright 2014 North East Rottweiler Rescue & Referral, Inc.
• All rights reserved •
• All rights reserved •